Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Introductory Post



The Secret Life of Bees 
 
By Sue Monk Kidd
 
 
 

This story takes place in 1964 in South Carolina. It's the tale of a young 14 year old girl named Lily Owens, who is haunted by the memory of her late mother. She escapes her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father, and flees with her caregiver  and only friend Rosalee. They make their way to a town in South Carolina that holds the secrets to her mother's past. They are taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sister's. That's there where Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping. [Reference Fox Searchlight Pictures]

 
 
I chose to start reading this particular novel “The Secret Life of Bees,” because after I read the synopsis, it sparked my interest. It sparked my interest since it sounds like a meaningful story, regarding female rights, racism, and humanity. I'm assuming this novel will portray a lot of emotion. For me to get into a novel, I have to really enjoy what I read, and after I read only the first few pages, I wanted to keep on reading. This novel isn't based on a true story, but I would consider it to be historical fiction.  I have heard and read great reviews on this novel, and I hope once I am done reading this novel for myself that I will be able to contribute my own positive perspective on this novel.
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment